Always wanted to make a crispy roasted pork belly but short on time?
Try this awesome recipe!
It is no secret that Chinese people LOVE our pork and the crown jewel is the crispy roasted pork belly…. browned, cackled skin atop juicy, succulent pork belly meat.
Pork bellies are perfect for sandwich fillings, dipped with light soy sauce with white steamed rice, or even served on its own! The only down side of home-cooking is the TIME required, which normally calls for 3-4 hours of baking time, slow roasting in the oven.
This is why I was ecstatic when I found RASA Malaysia’s simple recipe for Chinese Crispy Roasted Pork Belly! With only 2 hours to spare in the kitchen, I gave this recipe a try with my homemade dry rub. The result was simply amazing….!
Crispy Roasted Pork Belly Recipe
- 1 lb pork belly
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon five spice powder, or any meat spice rub!
- 1 cup salt
- Olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 350F/180c, arrange a pan on the bottom 1/3 of oven rack and fill with water*. The pork belly should be roasted using the rack above it.*Lisa’s Note: The pan of water provides moisture, effective transforming your home oven into a convection oven used in restaurants! This is the secret to cutting roasting time by half
- Wash and use paper towels to dry the pork belly.
- Make some horizontal slits on the sides of the belly, then insert each garlic* and push them deep in so they don’t burn.*Lisa’s Note: I used rosemary instead of garlic in this case. Use a ultra sharp knife to make the slits in the fatty layer, don’t cut into the meat of the pork belly
- Rub the meat side with the five spice powder*.*Lisa’s Note: I used my dry rub mix, you can substitute Five Spice with any meat spice rubs!
- Rub the top of the pork belly with olive oil, then layer with salt evenly.
- Place the pork belly on a wire rack, and place at the top 1/3 of the oven for 1 hour. While baking, the oil will drip to the bottom pan with water.
- Bake until the salt crust forms, the salt should be hardened. Check water in the pan below and add if needed.
- Remove the pork belly from the oven, pull off the salt crust and discard.
- Raise the heat of oven to 465f/240c, place the pork belly back in and roast for another 40 minutes.*Lisa’s Note: As the pork belly sizzles, watch closely to ensure the top layer doesn’t burn. But keep the pork belly baked at high heat for the perfect cackle!
- Remove from oven and let set for 10 minutes. Cut and serve immediately with some chili sauce and hoisin sauce, or eat as is.
Voila! Enjoy your freshly baked Crispy Roasted Pork Belly while it is hot off the grill!