Meet new people: Willem Myburgh!
I met Willem at our first Vandiar’s dinner, introduced by another Chatter: Rolf Wessels. It was a warm evening and Invin Vandiar, the owner had agreed to wear his turban while his mother helped me form 10 meters of fabric into a shimmery saree. But I arrived at the restaurant, only to find that I was the only one who held up my end of the deal…! This was when I learned about Willem’s passion for graphic design and biting humour~
Get to know Willem
- What brought you to Cape Town?
I lived in Cape Town for 2 years before I relocated to the UK, where I lived and worked for 6 years. When I made the decision to move back home I knew that Cape Town was my first choice of city to live in.
- What’s keeping you in Cape Town?
Great weather, amazing people, friends & family, a diversity of landscapes that will always amaze you and an abundance of opportunities to get out of comfort zone.
- I am a guest at your dinner party. If you could serve me any meal that represents you, what will that be?
Hmmm tough choice, I have a vicious sweet tooth, so it will either be Malva Pudding or Carrot cake. And even if say so myself I can bake either pretty damn well.
- Alright then, you are hosting your dream dinner party and you can invite 3 guests, Dead or Alive. Who will you invite & why?
Firstly Stephen Fry, love his sense of humour and then to spice things up, Freddie Mercury arriving fresh from a sold out show. Lastly Henry Cavill, every dinner party needs eye candy and what better eye candy is there than Superman.
- You’ve had a bad day and craving comfort food, what will you eat?
Ice cream, specifically Häagen-Dazs® Dulce de Leche. One tub will make any bad day melt away.
- Share a happy memory you have about food.
After a year living in the UK, my first visit back home to South Africa, every single friend and family member felt it was their obligation to give me the best braai ever. It was 2 weeks holiday filled with amazing braais.
- What would be a traditional family meal in your house?
Home made gourmet burgers…tummy rumbling just at the thought.
- What’s on your Food bucket list?
Just to keep experimenting and exploring.
- Tell me about your kitchen’s 5 senses: hearing, seeing, tasting, smelling, touch.
I am hearing friends laughing & chatting, tasting the food that is being cooked with wooden spoons, passed around from person to person. I am seeing bottles of wine being opened and smiles on faces as they refill their glasses. I am smelling a cinnamon, garlic, onion and something mysterious baking in the oven. I am touching plates and cutlery, setting the table and whistling to get everyone’s attention to come & sit down.
- Finally, what is the best dining experience you’ve had in Cape Town and why?
My 1st Dog’s Bollocks experience with Food & Chatter. It was rainy cats and dogs, insanely cold, and a river of rain was running underneath our feet – but the burgers were massive and tasty. We had lots of red wine and the company was brilliant. Was just a great night, even though it was pouring outside as if we were stuck in apocalyptic movie scene!